ILL is open 8 am to 5 pm Monday through Friday. During off hours, please email or leave a voicemail to have your needs addressed as soon as possible on the next business day.
What is Interlibrary Loan (ILL)?
Interlibrary Loan serves to connect patrons to more information in more ways.
ILL can borrow books, articles, music, etc. from other libraries for a patron to use.
ILL can deliver SHSU library materials digitally or physically for patrons who cannot visit the physical library. For material that cannot be delivered digitally, available delivery locations include home addresses; curbside pickup; Faculty>Direct office delivery (faculty only); and campus box (SHSU employees only).
ILL can deliver materials directly to faculty offices on campus, to assist busy faculty.
Before You Request
Before you place a request, please check our library catalog to see if the resource you are looking for is available at SHSU in print, online, or on Reserve. Also please note that the following types of resources are usually not available through Interlibrary Loan:
- Course-related textbooks
- Reference books
- Recently published or acquired books
- Very old or rare books
- Bound volumes of periodicals
Don’t Know What You Need?
To use ILL, you must know what resource you need. If you need help determining what to request, library personnel at Reference can assist in locating the information needed to complete a request and/or determining if the material may already be available in or accessed through the Library.
Procedure for Placing and Receiving Requests
- All requests will use ILLiad, the Newton Gresham Library’s Interlibrary Loan system.
- Log into ILLiad using your SHSU username and password (same as email and MySam).
- Be sure to update your User Information page with the preferred delivery location for your order: ILL office, home address, curbside pickup, Faculty>Direct, or campus box.
- Use the links in the menu to start a new request for an article, book, book chapter, etc. If you need an item type not listed (for example, DVD), please use the book request.
- Please allow 48 hours to 2 weeks to receive digital items, or 1-3 weeks for physical materials.
- Normally, requests received from Newton Gresham Library patrons are processed within 24 hours of receipt (meaning, the request is review by ILL staff and sent out to other libraries within 1 business day of being placed).
- The time it takes for an item to arrive depends on the lending library, so it is wise to plan ahead and allow sufficient time when considering an Interlibrary Loan request.
- If you requested to pick up an item, Interlibrary Services staff will send you e-mail notification when a request has arrived. All patrons picking up items at the library are required to show University ID (Bearkat OneCard).
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 936-294-1616 with any problems in requesting or receiving.
Due Dates and Renewals
- Due dates are set by the lending library and cannot be changed by Newton Gresham Library Interlibrary Services staff.
- If you need an extension of time, you are permitted to request a renewal at least 2 weeks to 48 hours before the due date:
- Log into your ILLiad account. Go to Checked Out Items, click on the Item's Transaction Number, and then click on Renew Book (written in red at top left-hand corner of the record).
- Follow this procedure for each item you wish to renew.
- You will receive a two-week extension, but the due date will ultimately be up to the Lending Library. If the Lending Library replies with a different due date, we will email you with that information.
- DO NOT return ILL materials to the SHSU library book drops. You will be financially responsible for any damage to ILL materials placed in book drops.
- ILL materials can be returned to the ILS Office or the Copy Room.
- ILL materials may also be returned to the library services desk in the computer lab (room 315) at SHSU-The Woodlands Center Monday-Friday 8-5.
- You may drop off a package, labeled with the library address below, at KatPost on Sam Houston Avenue, and it will be delivered via Campus Mail (no cost).
- You may mail books back to the library via USPS library book rate with tracking using the address below. (Please write "Campus Box", NOT PO Box)
Newton Gresham Library
Sam Houston State University
Campus Box 2179
Huntsville, TX 77341
Costs and Fees
Borrowing fees may be assessed as needed for requests meeting certain specialization criteria, but users always have the opportunity to agree to costs before an order is completed.
Overdue books accrue late fines of $3.00 per item per day. There is a two-day grace period in which overdue books can be returned without a fine: If a book is returned on...
- Date due + 1 : Grace Day, no fine charged
- Date due + 2 : Grace Day, no fine charged
- Date due + 3 : Fines for all three days (A+B+C) will be charged.
For example, an item due on the 10th of the month could be returned on the 11th or 12th of the month without penalty. However, if the item is returned on the 13th of the month, fines for all three days (11th, 12th, and 13th) would be assessed. Fines will then continue to accrue each day.
- You may add up to 5 authorized users to your account, for example, a family member or a graduate student assistant.
- Log into your ILLiad account.
- Click on "Change User Information" under the red "Tools" header.
- Scroll down to the box titled "Authorized User."
- In the box, please enter each person's first and last name (up to 5 people), and then click "Submit Information."
- You may update this information whenever you wish.
- Our most common form of communication is via form emails generated by ILLiad. Please save email@example.com into your address book to make sure you do not miss our emails.
- Please feel free to reply to any email we send and ask questions.
- If you haven't seen any emails from us, please check your Junk Mail folder.