What is EndNote Web?
Create Your Free EndNote Web Account
Access Your EndNote Web Account
Get Your Sources/References into EndNote Web
Help and Training
Getting Started with EndNote Web: Video Tutorial Series from the SHSU Library
EndNote Web is a web-based citation management program provided by the Newton Gresham Library.
With EndNote Web, you can
- Export journal and book details from many databases to EndNote Web.
- Access your citations anytime, from anywhere the Internet is available.
- Create reference lists in almost any style in just a few clicks.
- Use "Cite While You Write" to insert references into Word as you write, requiring only 1-2 clicks to create citations and a bibliography in any style. Learn how to use Cite While You Write.
If you are ON CAMPUS:
- Open the EndNote Web login page.
- Click "Sign Up" and enter your e-mail address.
- Complete the registration form (all fields must be filled out). Click "I Agree" to accept the software's terms of service.
If you are OFF CAMPUS:
- Connect to Remote Desktop before creating an account. (Go to Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> Remote Desktop. Enter remote.shsu.edu and then login with your SHSU username and password.)
Get instructions for using Remote Desktop on PC or Mac.
- After your account is created, you can use EndNote Web online from anywhere; you will not need to use Remote Desktop again.
Exporting Directly from a Database
- Export is used when the database provider provides a mechanism to click once or twice to push your citations into EndNote Web.
- When available, Export is often found with the options to print, save and email citations. EndNote Web opens automatically when export functions work properly. Not all databases provide an Export tool.
- How to export or import citations.
- Pop-ups must be enabled for most Export functions to work. To determine if pop-ups are being blocked, visit popuptest.com. Get help enabling pop-ups.
Importing from a Database File
- Import involves using the database's save function to create a text ( .txt) file and then using EndNote Web's Import feature to pull the citations into your EndNote Web account.
- This option may be provided by databases which have not developed an Export tool, but not all databases provide an Import tool.
- How to import or export citations.
Manually Entering Citations
Even if export/import functions are not available in a specific database, or if you already have a book or article in your hand, you can always simply type the information into EndNote Web. This way you can still include a source in the record of your research and in your formatted bibliography, regardless of a database's functions.
- Get started with the EndNote Video Tutorials.
- Library guide to using Cite While You Write plugin for Microsoft Word.
- Instructions for getting citations out of databases.
- Instructions for enabling pop-ups / disabling pop-up blockers.
- EndNote Web Quick Reference Card.
- EndNote Web Help Files.
- EndNote Web workshops are regularly provided by library faculty.
Watch one or more parts of a complete video tutorial on creating your EndNote Web account, navigating the EndNote Web program, getting research citations INTO EndNote Web, getting formatted bibliographies OUT of EndNote Web, and more!