Official SHSU Directions
- Sam Houston State University's Directions on Form, Preparation, and Submission of Final Copies of Master's Theses and Doctoral Dissertations. (Updated 2009)
- These guidelines specify directions for graduate students who are submitting a thesis or a dissertation in partial fulfillment of degree requirements.
- The guidelines herein take precedence over those in the style manuals required by departments as well as earlier versions of the "Directions."
- Students should consult their thesis/dissertation directors as to the required style manual.
- Students should avoid using another thesis/dissertation as a model.
- Because of the updating of style manuals and SHSU thesis/dissertation guidelines, what was accepted in the past may now be unacceptable.
- The thesis/dissertation will be evaluated according to the current declared style manual and the current SHSU thesis guidelines.
NEW 2015 Template and Supporting Documents
- New Fall 2015 Thesis/Dissertation Template
WARNING: Do not click and open New Fall 2015 Thesis/Dissertation Template; instead, right click on the link above, select Save Link As, and save the document somewhere you can find it. Then, open the document from the saved location and begin working.
- Fall 2015_Transfer User Guide for Thesis/Dissertation Template
- Fall 2015_New User Guide for Thesis/Dissertation Template
- Spring 2015_New User Guide for Thesis/Dissertation Template
- Spring 2015_Transfer User Guide for Thesis/Dissertation Template
- SHSU Template Training_Streaming Video
Related Thesis/Dissertation Information
- Thesis/Dissertation Timelines
- Copyright Information
- Library Procedures & Press Documents
- Electronic Route Sheet
- Non SHSU Employee on Thesis/Dissertation Committee Request
- Library Procedure
- ProQuest Form for Paper Submission of Dissertation or Thesis
- Thesis Basic Print Checklist
- Thesis Criminal Justice Print Checklist
- Dissertation Criminal Justice Print Checklist
- Dissertation Psychology Print Checklist
Library Thesis Clerk
- Submit for review to NGLThesis@shsu.edu.
- Questions? Call 936-294-1613 during library business hours.
Copyright Compliance And Permission Letter
- Template: Sample Permission Letter to Reproduce Copyrighted Material in a Dissertation (SHSU) (Word document)
- Copyright and Your Dissertation or Thesis: Ownership, Fair Use, and Your Rights and Responsibilities, by Kenneth D. Crews - Provides a sample permission letter and extensive information about complying with copyright law while writing your dissertation.
- ProQuest Copyright Guide's sample permission letter
Securing Copyright Permission
- "When U. S. Works Pass Into The Public Domain" chart
- If material has not passed into public domain, you must secure permission to reproduce the material in your thesis/dissertation.
- For more information, visit Columbia University's Copyright Advisory Office website.
Copyright And Related Laws