Official SHSU Directions
- SHSU Directions on Form, Preparation, and Submission of Final Copies of Master's Theses and Doctoral Dissertations. (Updated Fall 2015)
- These guidelines specify directions for graduate students who are submitting a thesis or a dissertation in partial fulfillment of degree requirements.
- The guidelines herein take precedence over those in the style manuals required by departments as well as earlier versions of the "Directions."
- Students should consult their thesis/dissertation directors as to the required style manual.
- Students should avoid using another thesis/dissertation as a model.
- Because of the updating of style manuals and SHSU thesis/dissertation guidelines, what was accepted in the past may now be unacceptable.
- The thesis/dissertation will be evaluated according to the current declared style manual and the current SHSU thesis guidelines.
NEW 2015 Template and Supporting Documents
- New Fall 2015 Thesis/Dissertation Template
WARNING: Do not click and open New Fall 2015 Thesis/Dissertation Template; instead, right click on the link above, select Save Link As, and save the document somewhere you can find it. Then, open the document from the saved location and begin working.
Note: The template is only compatible with PCs, not Macs. Further, you must use a version of Microsoft Word that is 2010 or up for the template to function.
- Fall 2015_Transfer User Guide for Thesis/Dissertation Template
- Fall 2015_New User Guide for Thesis/Dissertation Template
- Spring 2015_New User Guide for Thesis/Dissertation Template
- Spring 2015_Transfer User Guide for Thesis/Dissertation Template
- SHSU Template Training_Streaming Video
Related Thesis/Dissertation Information
- Thesis/Dissertation Timelines
- Copyright Information
- Library Procedures & Press Documents
- NEW! Instructional Videos
- Electronic Route Sheet
Note: Graduate students writing a thesis or dissertation will begin the route sheet process once they have completed the public defense and the final edits of their work have been accepted by their committee.
- Non SHSU Employee on Thesis/Dissertation Committee Request
- Thesis/Dissertation Information Form - Please submit this form early in your thesis/dissertation process to help us better assist you!
- Library Procedure
- ProQuest Form for Paper Submission of Dissertation or Thesis
- Thesis Basic Print Checklist
- Thesis Criminal Justice Print Checklist
- Dissertation Criminal Justice Print Checklist
- Dissertation Psychology Print Checklist
Library Thesis Clerk
- Submit for review to NGLThesis@shsu.edu.
- Questions? Call 936-294-1613 during library business hours.
Copyright Compliance And Permission Letter
- Template: Sample Permission Letter to Reproduce Copyrighted Material in a Dissertation (SHSU) (Word document)
- Copyright and Your Dissertation or Thesis: Ownership, Fair Use, and Your Rights and Responsibilities, by Kenneth D. Crews - Provides a sample permission letter and extensive information about complying with copyright law while writing your dissertation.
- ProQuest Copyright Guide's sample permission letter
Securing Copyright Permission
- "When U. S. Works Pass Into The Public Domain" chart
- If material has not passed into public domain, you must secure permission to reproduce the material in your thesis/dissertation.
- For more information, visit Columbia University's Copyright Advisory Office website.
Copyright And Related Laws